Jervis Shopping Center
Jervis Shopping Center – Northside
Located on the North Side of the Liffey in the City centre at the end of Henry Street.
It is a modern shopping center with dozens of well-known outlets.
Jervis Shopping Centre has long established itself as one of Dublin’s most successful and vibrant shopping environments.
Located on Dublin’s busiest shopping street, Mary Street, the Shopping Centre is home to a wide range of stores offering fashion, leisure, technology as well as a growing selection of dining options for visitors to enjoy. Recently the centre has deepened its fashion and beauty credentials by attracting the biggest JD Sports in Ireland and a new Superdrug, it is also home to the biggest New Look in Europe, Topshop, a brand new Stradivarius, Best Menswear, Timberland and VANS; there’s even more reasons for fashion lovers to visit.
Arriving at Jervis Shopping Centre could not be easier – the Jervis Luas stop is right at the entrance and Dublin bus stops and the Dart are within a few minutes’ walk. For those preferring to drive, the Centre’s very modern car park offers 750 car spaces.
The centre was built on a 12,000 m2 (3-acre) former hospital site, which was bought in 1994 at a cost of £5.97 million. The centre was built at a cost of £76 million. Most of the facade of the former Hospital has been retained and incorporated into the Shopping Centre. Jervis Shopping Centre opened in 1996 and extends to 37,000 sq.m. The centre was originally anchored by Debenhams, M&S and Tesco, and boasts 750 Car Parking spaces. The property is strategically located on Mary /Henry Street, one of Ireland’s busiest high streets. Since 1996 Jervis Shopping Centre has established itself as Dublin’s most successful and vibrant shopping environment.
Although its main entrance is on Mary Street, the centre is named for Jervis Street Hospital on whose site it was built following the hospital’s closure in the late 1980s. The existing Marks and Spencer store on Mary Street was incorporated into the new centre, with the other anchor tenants being Quinnsworth (now Tesco) and New Look in the unit formerly occupied by Debenhams.
Stephen’s Green Shopping Center – Southside
Located in the heart of the most prestigious shopping and cultural area of Dublin city centre, Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre hosts a wide variety of top retailers, including household names like Dunnes Stores, Argos, Boots, Eason, United Colors of Benetton, Mothercare, Elverys, Golden Discs and TK Maxx. Leading home grown retailers, such as Best Menswear, Raidar and Tribe carry all the premium names and brands found in any of the top European shopping destinations. We also cater to those with slightly more eclectic tastes, with stores such as Asha, Cactus, and Retro Nation stocking everything from Goth fashions to quirky gifts. Also a one stop shopping destination for tourists, visitors from overseas can find all kinds of high-end gifts and souvenirs at a variety of Irish craft and gift stores, including, The Donegal Shop, Carroll’s Irish Gifts and Celtic Spirit. For those wishing to take a break from shopping or sightseeing, Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre has a huge variety of top quality cafes, bars and restaurants to suit all tastes.Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre.Where Grafton Street begins!
St. Stephens Green
Grafton Street – Southside
Grafton Street (Irish: Sráid Grafton) is one of the two principal shopping streets in Dublin city centre, the other being Henry Street. It runs from St Stephen’s Green in the south (at the highest point of the street) to College Green in the north (to the lowest point). In 2008, Grafton Street was the fifth most expensive main shopping street in the world, at €5,621/m²/year, and the thirteenth most expensive main shopping street in the world in 2016 at approx €3,300/m²/year.
Grafton street is best known for it’s live performances, Allie Sherlock can be seen regularly on this street and a once a year pop up christmas Busking event with Glen Hansard/Bono & Hozier is becoming a regular tradition on Christmas Eve.
Shops include Victoria Secret/ Tommy Hilfiger/ Marks & Spencer / Weir & Sons Jewellery store , Disney and the Camera Center
Henry Street – Northside
Henry Street is located on Dublin’s Northside and is one of the two principal shopping streets of Dublin, running from the Spire of Dublin and the General Post Office on O’Connell Street in the east to Liffey Street in the west.
The main department store on Henry st. Is Arnotts. A traditionally Irish Department store in a wonderful historical building. The other main features of Henry Street are Jervis st. shopping center and of course Penny’s [Primark]. Penny’s is originally an Irish company that has since changed it’s location to a UK based company but it’s heritage is deeply rooted from Dublin. The original store can still be seen on O’Connell Street.
Georges Arcade – Southside
South City Markets was Dublin’s first purpose built Victorian Shopping Centre. In 1876 Dublin (South) City Market Company was incorporated with a share capital of two hundred thousand pounds and a loan capital of fifty thousand pounds, for the establishment, maintenance and regulation of a market on the south side of the city of Dublin. A special Act of Parliament was passed, which gave the Company power to acquire the property that was required for construction of the Market and to widen and improve the surrounding streets. Designed by distinguished British architects Lockwood and Mauson, and promoted by wealthy families with extensive property interests in the city, South City Market was formally opened by the Lord Mayor, Sir George Moyers LLD in 1881.
The occasion was marked by a large number of citizens being entertained to luncheon by the Chairman of the market company Mr Joseph Tod Hunter Pim. The absence of invitations to the native Dubliners went down badly with the locals and The Market was not initially popular with ordinary Dubliners, possibly because of the appointment of English architects and builders. In any event, tragedy was to befall South City Market on August 27th 1892 when the massive city fire of that date devastated the whole building. Miraculously no one was killed but the shopkeepers lost their premises and overhead homes, and the stallholders suffered even greater financial loss through their stock not having been insured. Some of the letters from the Stallholders to Management detailing the extent of their stock loss remain to this day. There was a flood of public sympathy for them and a fund for their relief was successfully organised.
The Centre was re-built in the same style, using local labour and craftsmen, and was re-opened on September 13th 1894 and on this occasion all local dignitaries of any standing whatsoever were invited. South City Market or George’s Street Arcade, as it is more commonly known today, has traded continuously since then, with its fortunes oscillating up and down, reflecting the varying economic circumstances of the city down through the years.
Powerscourt Townhouse – Southside
Powerscourt Centre is a speciality shopping centre set in an elegant Georgian house centrally located just off Grafton Street.Formally, 59 South William Street was home to Richard Wingfield 3rd Viscount Powerscourt (1730-1788) and his wife Lady Amelia, who bought the Townhouse to entertain guests during Parliament season. Back then, the building was a house for parties, and very much lives up to that reputation nowadays!
The townhouse, designed by Robert Mack, took 3 years to complete at a cost of €80,000 and is the third finest Georgian House in Dublin, with the magnificent Leinster House and Charlemont House leading respectively. The Lord and Lady Powerscourt spared no expense in decorating the house and employed well know artists and craftsmen. In order to dazzle their guests the hallway and landing were decorated in a rococo style and the ceiling in the music room, currently The Town Bride, and in the ballroom, The Powerscourt Gallery, are in a neo classical style.
They were designed by Michael Stapleton. Known in Dublin as the ‘French Earl’ because he had made the Grand Tour and returned home wearing the latest Parisian fashions, starting a trend that continues in the building to this day, Richard died here in 1788 and was laid out in state for two days, with the public being admitted to view him.
Over the years, the Government made expansive alterations to the property. Francis Johnston, architect of the G.P.O. and St. George’s Church, added three groups of buildings around the courtyard for use as a stamp office. There are other examples of Johnston’s work nearby on Clarendon Street, with the Clock tower and Bell.
The Powerscourt Centre is a fine example of Dublin’s Georgian architecture; the house is unique in showing the transition from rococo style to neo-classic under one roof. Meldon, in his ‘Views of Dublin’ (1779) said the house ‘ may be considered in point of consequence of appearance and architectural embellishment, as the third private edifice in Dublin.’ With its historic past the centre’s architecture serves as a magnificent setting for browser’s and shoppers alike. The house has become a regular test for students of architecture.
Like what you see? Support us Here